RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Thursday, September 20, 2007

Church Christmas Play, candy, and cookies

For several years the Sunday school children put on a Christmas play for the adults in the church. I was so proud -- yes, I know pride is not a good thing, but proud I was -- when I was finally old enough to participate and actually got a speaking part! I also remember what I was wearing that night. But I need to get back on track.

The play was always the Christmas account of Mary, Joseph, no room in the Inn, and a visit from the Wise men. I don't remember my line(s) but I remember how nervous I was and worried that I'd mess up. I didn't, but I still worried about it.

The play was held on the Sunday night before Christmas. The platform where the pulpit and communion table normally stood was emptied, and that became the stage. The church was packed with parents and other guests.

After the play was finished (we children also sang some carols) we actors went to our seats and then one of the deacons would start handing out Christmas presents. Everyone got at least one. My mom, got lots and lots of gifts -- mostly hankies and whatever costume jewelry was popular that year. Anyway, I remember that first time I was in the play, I had a new pair of shoes -- Mary Janes, patten leather, shiny. And when I walked in them they made a clicking noise on the wood and sidewalk, which I thought was so cool. So, when my name was called I walked down the center aisle of the church LOUDLY and received my gift. Everyone was laughing because I had clogged those heels so hard on the floor of the church. I didn't care. I wanted folks to know I had new shoes and they made noise!

Cleats were often added to shoes to save on having the heels wear down -- cleats were metal tabs that were nailed into the back of the heel, like the cleats you find on tap-dancing shoes only smaller, and I loved the sound cleats made. But those shoes had no cleats, so I just stomped and made the noise without them.

After the gifts were passed out, we were dismissed, and as we left the sanctuary, every one there was given a box (probably 1/2 pound) of chocolates -- everyone that could walk, that is. Babies, or carried children lost out until they could support themselves and receive the gift. And boy was the candy good. I always liked the jellies. Didn't much care for the nuts or nougat filled ones. It was a once-a-year treat and I horded that candy for days.

Mom and dad were also given boxes and boxes of cookies for the family. Dad was very stingy with some of those cookies because they were his favorites. I had one favorite and that was a date-nut filled pie-crust type cookies made by Mrs. Krudwig. They were so delicious. I also loved the butter cookie candy canes. Yum. What can I say, I'd eat any cookie I was allowed to have, and dad and mom did not allow us to just feast on those cookies. They lasted well into January. My sister and I disagree on whose cookies were best, but they were all good. Mrs. Aspling made an almond flavored squiggle butter cookie, Mrs. Manduka made the candy canes, Mrs. Nordt made some kind of flakey butter cookie with nuts in it, and on it goes.

Those ladies have all gone to be with the Lord. But the memories of those cookies will remind us of wonderful people who cared for the pastor and his family.

After we got our chocolates and gifts, we went home and then it was off to bed. I slept with my gift near my pillow. The chocolates were put on the buffet and when they were gone, they were gone, so it behooved us to go slow in eating them.

No comments: