RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I love my sister!


Here's a recent picture of Deb. She's still beautiful and really has changed little since we were in our early 20s.
She called me today. I love it when she does that. She always cheers me up. No matter what I'm doing, I drop everything just to gab. I didn't recognize her voice when I picked up the phone today, and I thought maybe it was one of those real sweet talkin' telemarketers, and I was about to hang up, as is my custom whenever a telemarketer calls. I know, I'm on the "Do Not Call" list, but that doesn't stop them. Well, what a nice surprise to hear it was my dear, sweet sister, Deb (I call her Drex -- an abbreviated form of our maiden name and a habit I picked up in high school).
As I talked about in a previous post, my sister and I are really enjoying our latter years -- I guess some wisdom is received as one ages, at least in the area of relationships.
I remember one time, when my children were in their teens, we were on our way home from Myrtle Beach and decided to stop in and see Deb and her family -- unannounced! Well, she greeted us with such exuberance, like we had made her year. That impressed me so much. If it had been me, I probably would have locked the doors and pretended I wasn't home -- I'm not big on surprises, even good ones.
My dad used to do that. If some family member decided to drop in on our family, he quickly pull all the shades and pretend no one was home. Of course, it never occurred to him, I supposed, that the visitors had SEEN him pull the shades, and could hear the shushing in the background. Or was it just a joke? We'll never know. You couldn't tell with daddy.
I figured out how to see what I wanted on TV, though. I just told daddy I didn't want to watch something, and that was what he was determined to watch. Do I think he knew that I knew what was going on, and that I knew how to manipulate him? Yeah, I do. It was a game.
Anyway, today I wanted to tell everyone who reads this, that I LOVE MY SISTER!

No comments: