RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Sunday, September 16, 2007

Weddings

When I was a girl I loved weddings. Dad had several to perform at our church, and the church across the street also was the site of many weddings.

Don't misunderstand, I still love weddings. I love to watch weddings. If I had an excuse, I'd subscribe to Bride magazine, just so I could keep up on the trends and look at the lovely dresses.

When I was a child, my imagination was quite good because I could come up with my own wedding, sans husband! I would take two similar-sized baby blankets, and tie one in front and one in back with a ribbon, so that they were secured to my waste. Then I'd gather them in front and back and there you have it, a wedding dress. Another blanket was pinned to my head for the veil. Then I'd practice step together step on the sidewalk in front of the house. My bouquet was usually some weeds I'd picked, or dandelions, or queens ann lace. I wouldn't dare pick from my mom's garden, which would have provided me with a lovely bouquet, depending on the season. Lilacs (white and purple); lily of the valley; roses; irises; various wild flowers.

Anyway, on Saturdays I would head over to the churches and see if there were a wedding in progress. Of course, if there were a wedding at our church, I would know and probably attend because dad would be officiating. If there were a wedding at the church across the street, I'd sit outside on the step of our church and watch and wait expectantly for the bride and her maids to appear.

No two dresses were ever the same, nor were the maids dresses. In those days, the bridesmaids all wore different colors. Not like today where all attendants wear the same dress. Oh, they wore the same dress, just in a rainbow of colors. And all the female attendants wore little hats as well.

No bride was without a veil to cover her face -- not just one that went down the back of her head. And no bride was without gloves -- if she wore a short-sleeved gown, then the gloves would go up to the elbows.

Times change, as do styles. I just wanted you to know that I remember fondly the weddings I attended on the steps of the church.

No comments: