RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Saturday, October 13, 2007

Late night movies

When I was growing up, after I was 13 and in high school, I was allowed to watch the "Late Night Movie." That was a program that started after the 11 o'clock news, and showed an old movie, usually a black and white movie that was made in the late 30s or early 40s. Movies like: Mrs. Minever, The Quiet Man, The Bells of St. Mary's, White Christmas, Jane Eyre, etc.

My father especially like the British movies -- mostly depicting World War II events -- and so did I. Anyway, I would stay up and watch that movie, after I finished my homework (another topic of discussion for a future BLOG), and then went to bed, and got up at 6:30 a.m. ready for school. Are you getting the picture. I went to bed at 1:30 a.m., got up at 6:30 a.m., and went on like that for all the years I was in high school and college. I did, however, make up for the lack of sleep during the work-week, on the weekend when I would sleep until noon or later, always waking up with a headache on Saturday because I slept so long. And then, on Sunday afternoon, tradition was to nap again.

However, my sleep habits are still messed up. I still am a night-owl. Now, however, I have the luxury of sleeping in, but since I don't sleep well at night, I can't really say I sleep in, I just sleep when I can. That's part of getting old.

I wonder why that is? As we get old, we probably should sleep more, but we don't, at least the old folks I know don't. We would like to, but the mind doesn't shut down like it used to.

Anyway, thought you'd like to know about the old movies. Oh, yeah, I missed one -- Random Harvest -- my kids remember? Smithy?

No comments: