RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Saturday, October 20, 2007

Mr. Softee

Did you know that Mr. Softee is a Runnemede company? Yes, that annoying song on the ice-cream truck started right in Runnemede. (http://www.mistersoftee.com/) Listen to the song, it's on that website. Actually the company started in 1956 in Philly, but as the website states, moved to Runnemede in 1958, where it's been ever since.

Let's see, when I was 16 (that would be in 1959) I worked for about 6 weeks at the main office which was located in front of the factory which was in front of the place where they housed the vehicles.

I used to walk to work. It was about 3/4 of a mile from the house, or maybe a mile. But it was a straight shot toward Barrington on Clements Bridge Road.

How we enjoyed that ice cream. It was sort of like Dairy Queen brought to your door. You know, the ice cream with the curl on top. It was soft-serve ice cream, and you could get a cone with jimmies.

If this BLOG picture device was working right now ("engineers are working on the problem") I would include a copy of the music sheet so you could play the song on your piano and drive everyone crazy with it -- sort of like the song: "I would like an ice-cream cone." We used to start singing that one whenever we wanted someone to go down to Joe's and get us ice cream. And my children used that ploy as well when they wanted ice cream.

Anyway, just a short BLOG about Mr. Softee, and one of my many summer jobs. What did I do with the money? Probably spent it on material so I could make myself some clothes for school.

No comments: