RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Thursday, October 25, 2007

School trips

I know, I know, what's the big deal about school trips? They still have those, right? Well, for a kid with no transportation to anything that couldn't be reached by bus, subway, or trolley, it was a big deal. And, as a small child, it was even a bigger deal because mom was tied up with three other little ones, and dad, was, well, he was busy. So for me, school trips -- one per year -- were a big deal.

I'm not bitter, but I did miss the one in kindergarten -- we had full-day kindergarten in those days. I got the measles, well before the scheduled date of the trip -- which was to the Philadelphia Zoo. But, because of quarantine laws back then, if any member of our family had that contagious disease, even if you were cleared of it, you were still held hostage in the house with that yellow sign posted on the door (yellow was for measles). So, I didn't have measles any more. Unfortunately, I gave the dreaded diseases to my sister and brother, and thus I was not permitted to go on the school trip to the zoo.

First grade? Another trip to the zoo, but I couldn't go that time either -- chicken pox -- red sign on the door. I was over the pox, but, again, sister and brother had them, so I was also confined to quarters.

Second grade -- finally -- I got to go to the zoo. Of course, I got sick on the bus. Remember? Bus sickness and I go hand in hand. It hasn't changed over the years. I went on a blue-hair bus trip with 30 other people from our neighborhood a few years ago, and yep, I got sick on the bus. I was miserable. I didn't actually throw up, but my stomach was really agitated.

Anyway, I went to the zoo with the second grade class. I decided I didn't want to stay there because I was sure it was near Aunt Stella's house, and I wanted to go visit her, so I wandered off in search of her home. I knew it was near the elevated subway system, and I could see the "El" from the zoo, so I figured she must live nearby -- which, of course, she didn't. They found me and boy, was I in trouble. My poor mom was frantic when they called her and told her I was missing. Dad didn't appreciate it either, and when I got home I got spanked for not staying with the class.

I loved the zoo, though. I think the Philly Zoo was one of the nicest zoos. I haven't been there for over 30 years, so I couldn't say what it's like today. I do know that the Cincinnati Zoo is very nice, the Brooklyn zoo is small, but nice. The Little Rock zoo is horrible. Enough about zoos. I know when I went to the zoo as a child, I always had a dollar to spend, and the little shops had some cute items for a dollar. I would browse and choose carefully. One year it was a coin purse. Another year it was a puzzle.

In third grade we graduated from zoo to Benjamin Franklin Museum. Oh boy, did I love that place. That guy that put his hand on the ball with electric sparks in it, and his hair would stand on end. How did they do that? But the best part of the Franklin museum was the planetarium. I stayed there as long as I was permitted to do so, getting back in line again and again so I could just watch the stars. I loved that place.

In 8th grade, I finally made it to be on the safety patrol, so I got to go to Washington, DC. Of course, I got sick on the bus again, and missed the first day of touring. The second day, of touring we went to several of the outdoor monuments, again on the bus, but my stomach stayed where it belonged. The ride home, amazingly was fine. I was distracted by one of the boys on the bus, can't even remember his name.

Also, in 8th grade, we got to go to New York City. No bus problems on that trip, and the highlight for me was the tour of the UN. Now, I don't care for the UN or its policies or take-over of the world, but I did like the tour of the building.

I know that when we got to the age of being allowed to go to the Franklin Museum, we didn't have to stay with anyone else, we were given free reign. Back in those days you didn't have to worry about kidnapping.

Our little town of Runnemede had neat schools, mostly Christian teachers (except for pre-historic Jackson -- another tale that involved my dad -- and I'm glad they thought enough of us to allow us to take those trips. I'm also glad they didn't cost much so I could go.

No comments: