RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Thursday, October 25, 2007

Teachers

I had nine teachers in my years in Runnemede elementary schools. My sister and brothers had some of the same teachers, and those poor kids had to follow in my footsteps. I say that because I had the incentive and desire to get all A's or excellents on my report card. My siblings didn't have those tendencies, and thus, they were maligned and belittled because they didn't measure up to Judith! (I cut off the "th" in the sixth grade and became Judi). I had good handwriting because I practiced. I had good math skills because I worked at it, and actually enjoyed ciphering. I had excellent reading skills, because as I mentioned, I loved to read.

I truly believe my brother Carl was dyslexic -- not something anybody knew about in the 50s -- because he wrote backwards, and he would read really well if he looked in a mirror, something I could never do. He enjoys reading now, and has overcome any disability he had as a child.

Anyway, in kindergarten I has Mrs. Gardner, a very nice lady who was in the system for years after I left. In first grade, I had Mrs. Welch for two days and then I was pushed into the second grade classroom (along with the rest of the good reading group of 8) because of "overcrowding." That teacher for the rest of the year was Mrs. Marcantonio (she was Miss Bachelor when I first started in her class). She's the teacher that didn't like that I colored houses and picket fences white, thus sending me to the principal's office for the first and only time in my life.

In second grade, and I can't remember the arrangement of that class, except that I did get put back in with some of the others that stayed in the first grade classroom, the teacher was Mrs. Gledhill. She was older, but motherly, and I liked her. She let me clap erasers -- a job I loved to do. She set up classroom chores such as eraser clapping, board washing, plant watering, paper collecting, and I got to do the erasers.

In third grade I was sent over to Bingham because of overcrowding again, but this time they sent those of us who lived closest to Downing over there. There were 8 of us and we stayed at Bingham until 8th grade. Anyway, in third grade I had Mrs. Barr. I had been warned about her by some of the moms in our church, whose children were in her class. I, however, loved her. She was pretty, and we got along quite well. I guess the moms who had problems with her had problems because their children weren't exemplary students.

In fourth grade, my teacher was Mrs. Kline. All I can say about her is, she had no control over the classroom at all. She was afraid to discipline or punish and the kids took advantage of that.

In fifth grade I had "pre-historic" Jackson. She was an older woman and she got that nickname because she taught us evolution as truth -- something my father was not happy about and which caused him to go to the school and almost pull me out. He told her I would not answer the questions as she wanted them answered, but I would answer the questions on tests as the Bible taught. I still got an "A" in social studies even though I didn't agree with her evolutionary teaching.

In sixth grade I had Mrs. Cunningham. She was motherly, and as I was getting into puberty at that time, it was helpful.

In seventh grade I had Mr. Latieri -- a newby -- first-year teacher -- a cut up and I didn't like him at all. I was "sick" a lot that year. I still got A's. I was so disappointed that I had been assigned to his class because I had been anticipating all summer that I would get Mrs. Brookfield for my teacher. She went to our church and I figured that would be a good deal for me. My whole class was assigned to Mr. Latieri, not just me. In retrospect, he was okay, I just couldn't get used to a male teacher.

Then finally, in eighth grade, I was back at Downing (across the street) as all eighth grades were in that school. We ruled the school. I loved 8th grade. I did really well academically, but my mouth was always going. So my teacher, Mrs. Aikley pulled me aside one day and told me I would get no awards at graduation because I couldn't "control" myself. Oh, well. I knew I was best, so it didn't matter to me.

Graduation was something else. I had the ugliest dress. That's a tale for another day, though.

Please know that I'm not bragging about getting A's. I had my comeuppance in high school and college, but I loved school and wanted to excel, so I did.

No comments: