RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Sunday, November 18, 2007

Art

I know you're wondering what "art" has to do with growing up in Runnemede. Well, let me weave a tale in words, something I can't do with a paint brush, as much as I would like to be able to do that.

I wonder if my brothers and sister remember how talented my mother was in the area of drawing? Me, I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, or a circle with a compass. But my mom could draw so well. I loved to ask her to draw something, and she would take pencil and paper (always pencil) and draw such wonderful things. Flowers that looked so real (my flowers tend to look like scribbles), houses that had depth -- my drawings of houses are always flat. She could even draw pictures of people, that actually looked like the people she was drawing.

I know I've mentioned how I practiced writing (cursive). Well, believe it or not, I also practiced drawing, but it never went anywhere. Mom would show me how to draw a profile. Her profile drawings had depth, shadows, etc., my profile drawings looked like, oh, I don't know, but they didn't look like profiles.

Anyway, you nieces and nephews, brothers, sister, children, grandchildren, if any of you have any artistic talent at all you might have gotten from my mother, Rose.

No comments: