RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Monday, December 24, 2007

Bad language

I'm not talking about bad grammar, I'm talking about four-letter words.

I was trying to find pictures of Runnemede on the WWW and there were a couple of personal websites that Google found that supposedly had pictures of Runnemede. Well, I never found the pictures.

These sites were both placed on the Web by 20-something people. And, I'm wondering if the only things they learned to spell were four-letter words -- none of which are part of my vocabulary ( at least not my public vocabulary).

I'm wondering if "kids" -- yes, I'll call them "kids" know any other words. I mean the content of these sites was just -- well, I didn't get the connection to Runnemede at all, except the address of the owners was Runnemede, NJ.

Do young people today think they are sophisticated or hep or cool if they can use every vulgar word that isn't in the dictionary? It doesn't say much for the English composition classes they are required to take in high school, now does it?

Back in olden days (40s, 50s, and most of the 60s) no one would consider writing those kinds of words for the world to see, unless they were an over-rated, overpaid author known for writing junk novels. Ms. McGargy would be turning over in her grave if she read any those renderings.


Ms. McGargy was the high-school English teacher extraordinaire at Triton -- the high school that is in Runnemede and to which Runnemede students walk and supposedly learn English composition. Ms. McGargy could tell if you had your homework done just by looking at you. I guess there was a look of guilt on your face if you didn't get it finished. I don't know, but she was always right. She was a great teacher of English grammar and composition.

No comments: