RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Monday, December 31, 2007

Crossing the Bridge


When I was a teenager and until I left the Runnemede area, something I really enjoyed doing was walking across the Ben Franklin Bridge. That's not me on the walkway. Of course, this was before I encountered a fear of heights. Now, if I were to try to walk across any bridge, I'd be on my hands and knees crawling. But "back in the day" I enjoyed the 15-minute walk across the bridge. It connected Philadelphia with Camden, and I would walk from work at 12th and Market to 6th and Race and go across the Bridge to Camden, then hop on a 21 or 31 bus to get me to Runnemede.
I don't know whether the walk way is still open, but I found this picture and thought you might like to know that I did walk this bridge, many times, as did Alan, and my dad. Actually, I think it was a cheap date to say, "Hey, let's walk the bridge."

No comments: