RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Friday, December 21, 2007

I think I've worn out the Runnemede thing

Runnemede was such a nice place to grow up. I wonder if it still is. Now, it's crowded with traffic on many of its streets. The two main streets, when I was growing up, and across which I traveled many times, are now so full of traffic that getting across them without going to a traffic light (which in the case of Clements Bridge Road is a good three blocks) is almost impossible.

The last time I was in town -- in 2005 -- there were few stores left on the main street. In an effort to spruce up the town, the intersection of Clements Bridge and the Black Horse Pike buildings were given a face-lift, but really I saw little of the small town ambiance I loved when I was a child.

Now there is a Mall just over the town border in Deptford, and that has caused a lot of the traffic problems. Plus with that mall came Walmart, K-Mart, Best Buy, and other larger stores -- no in the mall, but near the mall. So what is there in Runnemede that needs to be sold.

Other than the Phily (misspelled on purpose?) diner, there is little in the town to say -- hey, I can walk to get anything I want or need, like there used to be.

But, then, I live within walking distance of Krogers, the library, several fast-food places, and I drive. But hey, I'm handicapped (officially) and walking more than 100 feet is a chore for me. So, I can't blame the current Runnemede folks, who undoubtedly are as proud of their town as I was when I was living there, for the traffic or the lack of neat stores and Christmas window displays, now can I?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have been living in the house directly next to your old home (corner of central and 2nd) in Runnemede for the past 7 years. I love my home, i love this town. i see its past glory every time i step outside. your old home has been vacant for the past 6 years or so. i feel like it is my job to watch over it. the folks of the Mt Calvary parrish love it too and keep a good eye over it. Runnemede is only a shell of what it used to be but it shines anyway.