RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Friday, December 21, 2007

Shoes and pocketbooks



My sister and I love shoes. Now that we're getting up in years, however, we're stuck with "old lady" type shoes -- no heels, loafer-type shoes. Ugly shoes. Very ugly shoes.

When we were growing up we -- Deb and I -- loved to play with my mother's shoes. Her high-heeled shoes. And, my dear mother let us! Can you believe that? We would walk around with our shoes inside her shoes, until our shoes got too big to fit in her shoes, then we'd walk around in her shoes with the back flapping with each step we took.

We never fell off those shoes either. My mom had beautiful shoes -- or so I thought. And if I had those shoes today, many would think they were beautiful still. They had style. Most had an open toe, but those were only worn in warm weather -- weather above 50 degrees.

Mom had rubber boots that had a heel in them just right for wearing with her high-heeled shoes. I wish I could find a picture of those goulashes. And she also had a pair of boots that had no heel at all. There was a hole and the high-heel would fit in that hole. The rest of the foot was protected by the rubber boot.

Dad had pull on rubber goulashes that fit really snug against his shoes. For winter he had a pair of boots that went over his shoes and the latches were metal. It's hard to described those latches. No Velcro in those days.

Deb and I also loved (still do) pocketbooks -- now called purses. Mom had quite a collection and she let us play with them as well. I always had a handbag thrown around my neck. You know, I just didn't feel dressed without it. Same with Deb. Now, the purses had no money in them -- we did have play money, though, and that had to do.

Yes, back in those days, they made play money -- coins were made out of tin and had a 1 cent, 5 cent, 10 cent, or 25 cent embossing on them, depending on which coin you were fortunate enough to own. We also had play bills, well, I shouldn't say WE had play bills, but they were available. Not Monopoly money, but green money.

So where am I with this rambling? Well, my sister and I loved to play dress up using my mother's shoes and handbags. My mom was very compliant and let us wear her shoes, even her dress ones. We learned early how to polish shoes so that they'd be presentable for Sunday.

Back in those days -- the 40s and 50s -- there was a paint on polish -- my dad preferred the paste polish, but mom liked the paint-on polish, because it was easier and took only a few minutes to apply and the shoes were like new.

I suppose you all know that Vaseline is the way to polish patent leather, right? I was looking at a picture of me and my sister, and we're both wearing patent leather ankle-strap Mary Janes. Yes, the shoes had both the ankle strap and the mary-jane strap -- two for the price of one?

Enough of shoes and bags. Back to dreamworld.

No comments: