RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Saturday, January 5, 2008

Hot Flashes

Well, I was rereading one of my prior BLOGs and I mentioned that the hot weather only helped increase the number of times I had to endure hot flashes. I realized today that since it has turned cold, and we keep the house at about 65, I haven't had a hot flash for almost a week. Although, I sometimes almost wish I would have one, because I haven't been able to get warm either. It's either one or the other. I'm shivering, or I'm huffing and puffing and pulling off my clothes because I'm so hot.

Alan had a "hot flash" the other night -- I made chili, and I guess he reacted to the "heat" in the chili. He wondered how I could stand them on a constant basis.

My mom had hot flashes. I remember this because she would turn beet red. She was in her mid-40s, and it was shortly after my youngest brother was born that this happened. She would just shut down. She'd sit, turn almost purple, and breathe slowly, then when the redness left, she'd be up and about, doing her thing once again. I remember my father telling her to take her pill when this happened.

Hot flashes were never talked about in polite company back in those days, nor was pregnancy, nor was anything even remotely connected with sexuality. In fact, you didn't even mention toilet paper when you went to the grocery store. Mom, never wrote out "toilet paper" on her list which I was to get. It was always, "TP". There were other "unmentionables" that I won't mention except to say that if you turn on the TV -- even on the Disney channel -- there are certain "personal" products that are advertised, and I wonder how parents explain them to their younger children.

No comments: