RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Library

Runnemede had a library -- yes it did. Not the one they have now, but it was a library. It was located in the basement of the Municipal Building, which was on The Pike between 4th and 5th Avenues. It was a small room, and probably had 500 books. It was only open on Monday evenings from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. I think Mrs. Proctor -- Runnemede clerk -- ran it. But I'm not sure about that. (Click on BLOG title to link to Runnemede Library Home Page).

I do remember faithfully visiting the library and getting a new book each week, until I had read all the books of interest to me that the library housed at that time. I walked to the Municipal Building -- about 5 blocks -- by myself -- in the dark -- in the cold. I was a youngster. Would a child between the age of 8 and 11 be permitted to walk on the Pike alone after dark these days? I don't know. I never had any fear of walking around town at any time of the day or night.


Now, the Runnemede Library has a website and will soon have its catalog on line. They have children's programs now. Book reviews. It's open every day but Sunday, now. There are even computers available for public use. What can I say? Progress is great.

No comments: