RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Friday, January 18, 2008

Miss Camilla

Miss Camilla (Dodge) lived on the corner of the Pike and Clements Bridge Road. I believe there is a pizza place there now. Miss Camilla was a spinster lady who attended our church. She had some strong beliefs. One of her strongest, I think, was that women/girls should not wear "pants" (not panties).

I was scared of her. I never wanted to meet her on the street, so I avoided that corner of the pike as often as possible. Unfortunately, the post office was just north of her house!

Anyway, Miss Camilla would start shouting -- yes shouting -- anytime she saw a woman/girl in trousers/snow suit with pants/peddle pushers/ dungarees. And she would go tch, tch, tch, then lambaste that person telling them they were doomed to hell for the way they were dressed. It is any wonder I avoided her?

I didn't wear other than dresses very often, but I did have a couple of pairs of overalls. I never wore them to church, but I did wear them around town, if I was playing with someone. Well, she wouldn't let me forget that she saw me in overalls, either. Because on Wednesday night or Sunday, whichever came first, she would lay into my mother or father about my dress, or should I say lack of "dress."

She and her maiden sister, her name was Josephine, were good to mom and dad. Her sister wasn't as judgmental and would read to me and the ladies often brought food to the house. Best we were out of the room or out of sight when Miss Camilla called if my sister or I were wearing overalls. Mom never wore anything but a dress, so that wasn't a problem. But her daughters, tch, tch.

Miss Camilla -- not so fond memory.

No comments: