RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Monday, January 14, 2008

Seaside Heights. NJ







My father's maternal grandmother and grandfather had a hotel and bath-house on the boardwalk in Seaside Heights, NJ.

The top photo is a message that was on the back of the bottom picture - postcard. It's signed "Mother Casper" -- that would be my father's mother's mother -- my grandmother Drexler's mother.

I spent several hours today searching the Internet looking for more information on this hotel and bath-house. All I could find in a short history of Seaside Heights was that this hotel was on the boardwalk and that the boardwalk was burned in 1955 and all the things from the amusement pier to the south of the pier was destroyed in that fire.

I do recall my dad talking about the Caspers and the home in Seaside Heights. We never went there. I do NOT recall my dad talking about that fire. And it seems to me if the Casper home/business was destroyed in that fire he would have said something. I would have been 12 years old at the time and surely would have recalled his angst at the family losing so much property.

Anyway, these are some pictures to add to the collection and a very little more of the family history. I shall continue to search for information on Seaside Heights history as it connects with our family.

No comments: