RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Monday, January 28, 2008

The Thorns

I'm not talking about roses here. They--the Thorns-- were a family who attended our church. Founding members.

I remember the day Mr. Thorn died. We were in church, and the word came and his daughters Grace and Ruth left immediately to go home. They lived about three blocks from the church on the Black Horse Pike, next to the funeral home. Mrs. Thorn was not in church that morning.

I remember Mrs. Thorn (Ulva) as well. She was a nice lady who was one of the friendly parishioners who always had a tickle for the little lady (me). She had gray hair and wore it always in a tight bun at the back of her head, near her neck.

Ruth Thorn got cancer when I was in my early teens. She was probably 10 or 15 years older than I -- she was not married. The type of cancer she had progressed slowly. I used to visit her at least once a week when she was bed-bound, and play the piano for her. She loved to hear my latest "hit" single. I don't know how many times I play Roger Williams' arrangement of Autumn Leaves for her. All those arpeggios and scales and ebbs and flows of keys that sounded so much like falling leaves. I also played Grieg's piano concerto for her. She really did love to hear the piano. Also during those mini-concerts, I played God's music, music of the church, with my own arrangements of the beloved hymns.

Toward the end of her illness and life it was difficult for me to visit her because she had these tumors on the outside of her body that they were so huge. It was so hard to look at her. But she never complained and always smiled and seemed happy to have me visit her.

Her sister, Grace, worked at a secretarial job in Philadelphia and I only saw her on Sunday morning and evening. She never married either. She was a true alto -- she never sang any other voice part during services. I liked to sit in front of her because she helped me with learning how to sing alto without even thinking about it, just naturally sing the alto parts.

I loved the Thorns and it was obvious that they loved us by their smile, their speech, and their giving. Thank you Lord for The Thorn Family. We shall meet again.

No comments: