RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Saturday, February 23, 2008

Are we there yet?

I remember going on trips with our Uncles Joe (two Uncle Joes) and my obnoxious brothers would sing out every two minutes (at least it seemed that often) "Are we there yet?"

Well, I'm writing about "Are we there yet?" because we aren't there yet. That is, we were supposed to be in Florida by today, but we aren't there yet.

Yesterday, we headed out in an ice storm. It took us about an hour to get the van de-iced, but since the roads weren't too bad, we headed out. We got as far as Berea, KY. We stopped for gas for the car. I got out the directions to the first night's hotel, and discovered that I hadn't put the passports in with my other odds and ends for the trip. No passports, no Panama Canal. So, we turned around and went back home.

Figuring the ice storm was over, we went to sleep. Unfortunately, it iced a lot overnight, and we had to go through the de-icing ritual with the van again this morning. We did leave this morning and got as far as McDonough, Georgia (just south of Atlanta). It took us 9 hours to get here. There was a big construction tie-up just north of Atlanta, other wise we had clear sailing.

Tomorrow, Lord willing, we'll be in Florida with Cousin Micki -- that's Martha -- one of Aunt Daisy's daughters. I think I wrote about Micki -- she was the gospel/country singer. She was disappointed we weren't going to make it down today so we could go to church with her tomorrow (Sunday). She's singing a solo. I would dearly have loved to hear it. I told her, when I get to her house, she could sing "Yodeling Cowgirl" for me. She laughed and said, "No thanks."

Does that mean she won't sing for me? We'll see, and I'll let you all know.

No comments: