RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Sunday, February 3, 2008

A history of Runnemede

I just finished re-reading the book "A History of Runnemede" by Wiliam Leap (a former resident of Runnemede who was about 10 years ahead of me in school).

I was hoping re-reading his book would evoke memories of my past. It did and it didn't. It brought back a few ideas about which I was going to write anyway. Nothing new, though. There are some pictures in the book that I want to scan in and post on the BLOG -- pictures of the routes I took in my walks to the post office when Alan was in Kenya and I was in Runnemede waiting anxiously for a letter from him. The routes which I took as I went to the post office twice a day hoping against hope that there would be a blue air mail letter waiting in my father's mailbox (PO BOX 41). I can still remember the combination to open that mailbox, but I won't post it here in case the post office hasn't changed the combination since the box was turned over to a new person after dad left Runnemede.

So what new things did I come up with? Well, wait and see. I learned more about doctors and dentists, that I didn't know. I found out that the homes in Runnemede (where the doctors and dentist lived) while they were larger than any other homes in Runnemede, weren't all that big at all.

I learned a lot about the Cinderella homes -- a housing development built in the early 50s across Clements Bridge Road and up Knight Avenue a bit -- and that those houses cost $8,500 when they were built. I'll take a whole BLOG to talk about the Cinderella homes.

It was recalled for me lessons from "Aunt Nellie." Another BLOG on that one.

So, folks, I'll have a few more topics to talk about before I leave Runnemede and head out to Cincinnati -- then, it will be just notes about my life with my husband of 41 years and my children. Boring to most, I'm sure. And when I start writing about my children, I'll try real hard not to embarrass them (yeah, right).

It also occurred to me that building Triton High School in Runnemede was a big deal in 1956 and '57. So, I'll spend some time talking about that aspect of my life -- high school -- a time in my life I've tried to blot out because I was so skinny, so pimply, my hair was so kinky, curly, when straight was the style. Not a good time for me.

Enough of the "woe is me" syndrome. I'll pep it up and make the teenage years of my life seem funny, because, in retrospect, the events of my teenage years, if put in a movie would be comedic, rather than tragic.

No comments: