RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Let's begin at the beginning

My father was a creationist -- not in the scientific sense, but in the Biblical sense. He believed the Bible literally, and never wavered from that.

So, I'm beginning at the beginning. I was taught that God created everything. We didn't morph from water to fish to frogs to people, or whatever the sequence is that evolutionists want us to accept. I was taught that God's Word is truth, and if God said He created the heavens, the earth, and all that was in it, then we were blaspheming Him or denying Him, if we didn't believe what He said.

Dad and I had times when we had to fight for this belief. I've mentioned the time with Mrs. Jackson (prehistoric Jackson) when I was in 5th grade. The trouble is that dad didn't think there were dinosaurs. He thought that the dinosaur imaginings in museums ALL came the the northeast corner of someone's imagination (that's one of my father sayings, by the way). He learned late in life that there were dinosaurs, but they were here before, during, and after the flood, and we're just now finding the fossils.

What Dad had a hard time getting a handle around regarding dinosaurs, is why there are so many dinosaur fossils, and so few people fossils, when he was certain the people far outnumbered the dinosaurs prior to the flood, and why are there so many dinosaur fossils and so few other animal fossils. He thought maybe every bone that was found was tagged as a dino fossil, when, in fact, maybe it was a horse leg, or something. That was my father. Questionning science, not questionning God's word.

The other event was in high school, and it wasn't even in a science class, it was in a history class. I couldn't answer the test questions correctly because I knew that my teacher's dating process was skewed -- he believed the lie. My father went in to see that teacher, and I was permitted to not answer those questions, and to not be docked from my score for not answering them. However, I was warned that questions like that were on the SATs and I'd be wise to "lie" on that test if I wanted to get into a college.

My father was not a happy camper when he read the Western Civilization history book. Piltdown man, hump-back man? God created man -- upright -- no questions. Whatever they found -- the hunched over man -- there was a reason, but it wasn't because God had created man that way and eventually he stood up straight. Man was created perfect, and then deteriorated -- that's what daddy believed.

You know what? He was right. I believe that 100 percent.

No comments: