RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Saturday, April 19, 2008

Modesty

I was always taught that I should dress modestly -- no short shorts, one piece bathing suits, no short skirts, be careful when I bend over, etc. That carried over into my marriage. I'm not ashamed of it.

However...

There is an incident that occurred during the summer between grade school and high school. I really still don't get it, but apparently I was very immodest.

We had a church youth group meeting -- mix sexes, boys and girls -- and the ages of those in attendance was 14-18. We had an outdoor BBQ (hot dogs and hamburgers, no BBQ) and so I had dressed "appropriately" for a summer BBQ, according to my mother's and father's standards. I was wearing pedal pushers (are they called clam diggers now?), and a matching blouse, tucked in. That was suitable dress for the occasion, so I figured, phew, got past that one.

You see being a PK (preacher's kid) in Runnemede meant that you had tests to pass every day on all kinds of things, modesty being just one of them.

I rode my bike to the party. And we had so much fun. We played badminton and some board games (that was how we had fun back then), and then it was time for supper. Well, the hosts didn't provide chairs for us to sit on, so the ground was the only option, other than standing and trying to juggle a plate, a drink, and eating at the same. We were all sitting on the ground with our legs crossed "Indian" style. If you don't know what "Indian" style is, I can't explain it except one leg is crossed over the other and vice versa, so you sort of look like a pretzel with a body attached to it.

Well, apparently the lady who hosted the party didn't' think sitting "Indian" style was appropriate for anyone. But, she called my mom. She called her before I got home, and mom was waiting for me.

She started to tell me I was getting boys excited (I didn't even know what that meant, believe it or not, when I was 14) and that I wasn't sitting like a lady should sit. I was really confused. I didn't get how sitting "Indian" style -- and every single one of us was sitting that way - was causing boys to get excited.

Apparently the hostess thought that sitting that way was "exposing" one's self to the opposite sex and getting them aroused. Of course, I wasn't the only other girl there, and there certainly were much more attractive girls at that party dressed more seductively than I, I might add; but I was the one that got the "friendly" call from a "concerned" parishioner.

So, girls and ladies, be careful how you sit. Always sit with your feet crossed at the ankles, and keep those knees tight together. Sit in a chair or on a step -- that was the suggestion for me -- and make sure you are modest at all times. You never know when someone is going to take offense at how you are sitting.

Of course, with my present girth, sitting "Indian" style is out of the question, so I suppose that I don't have that problem at this point in my life. However, I mentioned it to my daughter, and she cracked up. But, she also could see the point of the poor lady who thought I was being immodest.

Be careful, my children, and others, the "immodest" police are out there just waiting to get you caught!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HEEHEEHEE! Oh, but I'm sure your mom was so sweet about it. Those judgy types! If she would have been considerate enough to take you girls aside... some folks see evol! in every thing and end up exposing kids to terms they shouldn't know just yet.
Oh, are clamdiggers the same as capris?
I'll remember to sit with legs tucked to the side and remind my girl, too. Thanks for the advice you passed on!
:)