RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Thursday, May 15, 2008

Achoo

Dust -- is it truly a protective covering?

I remember when I was growing up the one chore I really hated was dusting. And even when Pledge came along, I still didn't like dusting, although I did enjoy inhaling the fumes from the stuff.

No, dusting has never been on my list of things to do. So, most of the time I have a very good protective covering on everything in my home.

Those venetian blinds are the worst at dust sucking. I mean, I can wash them or dust them, either one, and the next day, I can hear the sucking sound. Why is that? It's not like the blinds are near the air vents, where I know a lot of dust scatters from.

I'm so not into dusting that I clean my air filter religiously every month on the 26th of the month so that less dust is circulated through the furnace fan. Why the 26th? Because that's the day that my calendar reminder tells me to do that. I have not put "dust the furniture" into my calendar task reminder, though.

We had guests right after we returned from Florida. I dusted the day they came, but I missed a few places, and don't you know, that's exactly where they looked? I didn't realize that cobwebs formed in great profusion behind picture frames that are standing in a collection on my sofa table. Our friend picked up a couple of the pictures and while I had picked them up to dust around them, I didn't think to dust in that little gadget that makes them stand up. And lo and behold -- cobwebs!

Live and learn.

No comments: