RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Fun vacation spots

This is another topic that was recommended by CM to journal. FUN VACATION SPOTS. What fun vacation spots? When I was a child there were no "vacations."

The family was given a "scholarship" to Sandy Cove Bible Conference one year. I was sent to the girls camp and the rest of the family spent the time at the main conference center. It was NOT a fun vacation spot.

I guess I would have to say that Ocean City, NJ was a fun vacation spot. I spent a week there with my cousin Alberta when I was 16. I recall that when I got home everyone was telling me how tan I was. Duh! I tan just walking to the car on a sunny day. Always have. It's in the Italian genes, I guess. Mom always had that "olive" complexion they say Italians have. My daughter Becky is the same way, as is her daughter Grace. And who puts on sun screen just to walk to the car? Not me. I don't use any of that greasy stuff on my skin. When I got pimples, at the young age of 12 or 13, I made sure nothing greasy was put on my skin for my pores to absorb then redistribute to my face.

Aunt Annie's was a fun vacation spot, too. At least for us children it was. I don't know that it was much fun for Aunt Annie. I mean we weren't the quietest bunch of kids. But we all loved her house and we loved the rooms we were put in to sleep. Each room had a dormer window which we thought was the cutest thing. My sister and I used our doll things to decorate the dormers like we would a house. Those dormers were our "play houses." And, I think we always had a fun "vacation" at Aunt Annie's. Those vacations were short, two or three days, but they were fun.

I can't say they were really vacations, just that each year my father was a speaker at Tri-State Bible Conference in northern NJ, and rather than us stay at home without daddy, Mom would pack us up and off we'd go to Aunt Annie's house. I sort of recall that when I hit my teen years and was able to navigate the public transportation without supervision, enabling me to get to Aunt Anne's alone, I visited and stayed with her more often than the whole family. I really loved her little cape cod house. And to me it seemed like a castle, yet I know it was a tiny home by today's standards. Probably 1200 square feet, plus a basement (unfinished, but very, very, very clean).

So that's a recap of the "fun vacation spots" that I recall from my youth. Not exciting, but fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too loved Aunt Anne's house. We stayed there many times when we'd be out visiting Grandma and Gramps. The dormer windows were my favorite as well and I always told her how much I wanted a house like that when I grew up. I also remember laying in bed and hearing her and my parents laughing and laughing while playing Scrabble until the wee hours of the morning. Boy, did I want to be down there and playing along with them! I don't know if it was the house that was so great or that Aunt Anne lived there. She was an amazing and funny woman. But, I can say that I totally agree that her home was a GREAT vacation spot for us as well. :-)

Judi Hahn said...

I loved Lori's comment. She said so well what we all thought about Aunt Annie's house and Aunt Annie. It was such a fun time for us and such a blessing. We were all so poor, but Aunt Annie offered a break from the poorness because her home really felt like a castle to all of us.