RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Sunday, June 15, 2008

God of our Fathers

Today is Father's Day. My father is with his Lord and has been for a long time. Alan isn't my father so I feel no real reason to celebrate the day.

But, I was thinking back to Father's Day when I was growing up. It wasn't a big deal then, either. I mean I gave dad a hankie with his initial on it in a card, or a new tie, or something like that. I mean he had everything he needed and if he wanted it, he got it. And he wasn't a "tool man." So that really meant that we said "Happy Father's Day" to him, and went on with the day.

But...

I do recall that every single Father's Day we had to sing the hymn God of our Fathers. I have reprinted the words here, just to remind everyone what we sang. Frankly, it wasn't that pretty of a tune. I have included the link in the title of this BLOG so you can listen to the catchy tune if you wish. The words, however, must be read and dwelt upon especially in this day and age.




God of our fathers, whose almighty hand
Leads forth in beauty all the starry band
Of shining worlds in splendor through the skies
Our grateful songs before Thy throne arise.

Thy love divine hath led us in the past,
In this free land by Thee our lot is cast,
Be Thou our Ruler, Guardian, Guide and Stay,
Thy Word our law, Thy paths our chosen way.

From war’s alarms, from deadly pestilence,
Be Thy strong arm our ever sure defense;
Thy true religion in our hearts increase,
Thy bounteous goodness nourish us in peace.

Refresh Thy people on their toilsome way,
Lead us from night to never ending day;
Fill all our lives with love and grace divine,
And glory, laud, and praise be ever Thine.

No comments: