RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Saturday, June 21, 2008

It's the second day of summer

And I can feel it already -- the darkness is descending upon us. Did you notice it? Just a few minutes less of light in the evening and morning and we're being encroached upon from both ends of the day with darkness. Argh!

I was relishing the lengthening days and evenings, and then boom! Summer solstice hits, and we start reversing the trend.

Why just two nights ago Alan and I went out for dinner after our community meeting which broke up around 8:15 and we went to a place where we could eat al fresco -- it was, after all still light outdoors. Even when we finished at 9:30, there was enough light to read a newspaper with.

I noticed tonight, though, at 9:30, it was darker, so already the darkness is coming. Soon we will be in the winter of the year and be surrounded with grayness and darkness for months on end.

So, I'm recording these beautiful sunny days and shortening evenings to remind me when the darkness takes over totally, that just a few weeks or months ago we had light. I think God got it right when he said, "Let there be light." It's not recorded that he said, "Let there be dark." Does that tell you something? Remember, as I try to do everyday, Jesus is the LIGHT of the world. So even when we are experience physical darkness, we know in our heart that our God is our Light!

2 comments:

The Lady of the Holler said...

Good grief, Jude -- you're depressing me! ;o)

Judi Hahn said...

Well, think about it, the darkness is coming. That really is depressing, and that's what I was feeling as the light got gone earlier that the day before. I love the sunshine and the light. I don't think I'd do well in Alaska in the winter time, but I'd do great in the summer.

Thanks for reading my BLOG. I check yours everyday. And what does ;o) mean?