RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Friday, June 20, 2008

Roll out those...

lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer, those days of soda, and pretzels and beer (root, that is).

Creative Memories suggested "songs that remind one that summer is here." Well, it is. Summer, that is. Officially. And it is quite warm today -- H&H. Just like NJ weather in the summertime. We look forward to those rumblings of thunder in the west, which are predicted for tonight and tomorrow, but often spread out around us to the north and south, and we seem to be spared.

Back to the topic at hand, though.

It was Nat King Cole who sang that song -- Roll out those lazy, etc., etc. and it has such a nice, catchy tune. Sorry, but I don't have MP3 so I can't send the link. At least I think that's the reason the computer won't let me listen to it. But can't you just picture those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer? Why even on the Internet there are websites that tell us how to make lazy, hazy, crazy salads for summer.

Of course, summer is the time for salads, everyone knows that. Tonight I favored Alan with a steak (bought at Kroger) and salad. I took one bite of the meat and spit it out. It tasted absolutely horrid. I'm too used to good beef from my no longer neighborhood butcher, and so I haven't had beef for a long time, but it tasted bad. Alan seemed to enjoy it though. I guess he was just happy it wasn't chicken or hot dogs or spaghetti.

Back to summer songs. How about, In the good old summertime? Strolling down a shady lane with your hand in mine? She's my tootsie wootsie in the good old summertime?

What's a "tootsie wootsie". Is that like a stud muffin? Or honey one-y? Or darling two-sie? I recall, strolling down a shady lane with my tootsie wootsie back in the mid-60s. We were at Hacklebarney State Park in NJ. It's a lovely state park, lots of shady lanes.

And, of course, no collection of songs that remind me of summer would be complete without
Summertime. That was a song which the various choral groups in which I participated in various schools in various years seemed to have included in the spring choral program, which was held very close to the ending of school, which in NJ was mid-June. Summertime and the living is easy, fish are jumping, and the cotton is high.

Now, I couldn't tell you anything about how high cotton grows, but I did reminisce at one time in the past about fishing on Timber Creek in the summertime, and while the fish were jumping they weren't biting!

And because of the heat of summer, living is easy. Lazy. Strolling weather.

I'm sure there are other songs that will come to me. I always things of the hymn, In the Garden, in the summertime. It reminds me of my mom.

No comments: