RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Storms

We've had two days of non-stop thunder storms -- big ones, storms with hail, tornadoes. In fact the storms have been so bad that on Tuesday night no programs on the "big 4" TV stations were on because it was more important to get the weather information to the watchers than for the watchers to know who got booted off Hell's Kitchen. NOT@!!!!


Does anyone know who got the boot? I even watched the news on the channel following the weather warnings, and they didn't even tell us who it was.

I'm thinking -- my life is my life controlled by who gets booted off a reality show? I don't think it is, but if I am able to watch the program, which was last night, I really don't need five channels telling me the same thing -- get to your basement if live in Moscow (Ohio, or was it Indiana?) there's a tornado in your area. You will hear the sirens, that means you are having a severe thunderstorm and might have a tornado.

I've lived out here long enough now to know the signs. The sky gets green -- it was green most of the morning this morning, and most of the tonight -- and the wind blows. It hails, then the wind gets worse, and then you have a tornado. The sirens go off somewhere in there, and then you head for the basement. What basement? We don't have a basement. We have a closet under the stairwell, that's our hiding place during a tornado. I had grabbed my computer. And later we were talking with some of our friends, and I was the only one who thought of the computer. They all grabbed jewelry. So, next time, I'll grab the computer and my jewelry box.

You are probably wondering why I didn't grab the photo albums. Do you know how many of them there are and how heavy they are? Anyway, the pictures are all on the computer, so I would only have lost the fancy background artwork that I put in the books. I'd still have the photos. I have three 3-mg travel drives with pictures on them, and I grabbed those, too.

I think losing the pictures would have been worse than losing anything but my husband.

So, we survived this round. Tomorrow -- 92 degrees -- that means I'm going swimming!

No comments: