RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Saturday, July 12, 2008

Goodnight Chet, Goodnight David

Goodbye, Tony.

When I was a teenager and into my early 20s, the Huntley/Brinkley report on Channel 3 in Philadelphia, was the favorite newscast in our house. Dad watched that program as often as he could on the evenings he was home, and so Goodnight Chet, Goodnight David became a familiar saying at our home. Of course, I only saw Huntley and Brinkley in black and white. No color TV in our house -- at least not while I lived there.

Today, I am saddened by the passing of Tony Snow. Of all the newscasters on TV -- past and present -- I liked him best. He had a cheerful way of presenting evening the most gruesome event. He always seemed to be happy.

If you click on today's title, there is a link to an essay/obituary (rather long) about Tony Snow.

Yes, he was conservative -- that gave him extra points in my book, but he was never ashamed to admit it, and he could really go toe-to-toe with any liberal.

I loved watching his White House news briefings when he was the current President Bush's press secretary. He didn't let those news people in the audience get away with anything. He called them down, dressed them out, and always in a good manner and with a smile on his face. Never condescending.

So, Goodbye Tony. I am glad God put you into the news media even if it was only for a short time.

No comments: