RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Friday, October 10, 2008

I LIKE IKE

I like Ike. That was the saying that went 'round the country in 1952 and again in 1956 when Dwight David Eisenhower -- war hero -- was running for President of the U.S.A. on the Republican ticket. His vice-president choice was Richard Nixon. In fact, DDE (Ike's) grandson married Nixon's daughter many years later.

I recall that we had an in-class election on the day before the 1952 election -- schools used to be closed on election day because they were polling places. My class voted 28-0 for Ike. We liked Ike. In fact, the school, as a whole went for Ike. Did that mean our parents went for Ike? I don't know.

I do recall that we had a lot of history lessons just prior to the election about WWII and about Ike's part in D-Day and his other part in that war.

I do NOT recall that the teachers ever mentioned who was a better candidate. I don't think they even mentioned Adlai Stevenson at all in our history lessons, and perhaps name recognition was what pushed Ike over the edge in our class.

ttfn

No comments: