RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

I sent an e-mail to my cousin, Joanie, who lives in South Jersey. I had to let her know that I am thankful for her and other things. Here's what I wrote to her:

Things to be thankful for:

(1) Waking up;
(2) getting out of bed;
(3) knowing that my husband is still breathing when I get up;
(4) being able to walk occasionally;
(5) wonderful children and grandchildren;
(6) the best ever Italian family in America!

Oh, there are other things. And I shall miss the large family seated around the table, and each member of the family saying what they are thankful for. I think that was probably one of the best things about our Thanksgivings. Of course, that was AFTER dad prayed and after we had eaten, but before dessert.

When my children were growing up, a tradition we started was the annual football game. I only played that once, if that many times. I don't mind watching football, but all that running and falling, and getting pounced on, was not, and still isn't my cup of tea. However, the children and the other adults who attended our Thanksgiving feasts enjoyed that respite before the turkey nap syndrome sunk in.

I'm so glad to have found out about this BLOG site and have been able to give many of my family members a peak at what it was like growing up and living in the 40s, 50s, and 60s in a small town. But...that was then and this is now. Life goes on, and it goes faster and faster the older I get.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. Write me and tell me how and what you all did on this special day.

ttfn

No comments: