RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Friday, December 12, 2008

I know I wrote about this last year, but can't find it

Another thing we always listened to, and this we listened to almost on a daily basis. That record was "Twas the night before Christmas" as performed by the Pennsylvanians. I have put a link in the title of this BLOG so you, too, can listen to this wonderful recording.

When I was teaching at Bible Baptist Christian School I had the children learn this version and I was able to get a background tape of just the music part, so they could sing the words and the instrumental part was just the same as the record.

Listen to it, I think you'll really like it. Catchy tune.

Another tradition we had was listening to "Why the chimes rang". It's a two-hanky story and you can find it at: http://www.holytrinitynewrochelle.org/Why_the_Bells_Rang.html. Read it and weep with me.

Of course, there was "The Littlest Match Girl" which I tried to read to my own children every year, but never have gotten through it without shedding a few tears. And even reading it to my rambunctious grandchildren hasn't changed that, I still tear up when I read that story. Poor little thing. You can read that at: http://christmas.howstuffworks.com/inspirational-christmas-stories15.htm

So you don't miss any of my Christmas ramblings, I spent some time and went back and catalogued them under Christmas; holidays. That's only Christmas. The other holidays are not included. So, if you want to know what Runnemede was like back in the 40s, 50s, and 60s at Christmas time, and what our family the Drexlers did with the Sbaraglias read them. It won't take you long. And, please, fell free to comment.

DTC - 13

No comments: