RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Monday, January 12, 2009

Monday was wash day


I know I wrote about this before, but my niece, Lori reminded me about something I may not have mentioned. This picture is NOT my mom. I don't know who it is, I just wanted to show the kind of washing machine my mom had when I was little.

My mom was short, she said she was 5'2", but I think she was shorter than that because I was 5'3" (before I shrunk to my now height of 5'1") and I towered over her. But I digress. This is about washday.


Before we got an automatic washer, mom only washed on one day a week, that was Monday. Back in those days we kept our towels for one full week, and got a new washcloth mid-week. That really cuts down on the laundry. Mom changed the beds on Monday and washed the sheets that day as well. Now when I was really little she had a wringer washer and I remember her pushing the clothes through those ringers to get the water out of them so that they weren't so sopping wet when she hung them on the clothes line.

Now here's where her "shortness" comes in. We had saggy clotheslines because mom was short. But, we had poles that had a notch on the end that held up the lines so that the sheets and other things didn't drag on the ground.

I recall standing on the second and third steps off the back porch so that I could hang clothes and help my mom when I was a little girl.

By the time I was 9 or 10 I was hanging along side my mom and using the clothes pole to raise the clothes lines to a height well above the ground.

The clothing smelled so good. I don't care what kind of softener or detergent you use, you don't get that fresh air smell you get when you hang clothing outdoors.

After I married I never hung clothing outdoors because I always had a drier. And now, even if I wanted to hang my sheets outdoors I couldn't because where I live hanging clothing or any items outdoors is verboten!

Be sure to click on the title and watch the "washing day of old".

ttfn

No comments: