RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Friday, January 16, 2009

New Picture


My dear niece, Lori, sent this picture to me yesterday. I am so thankful for this picture. I don't have it in my collection, although I do remember seeing it both at my mom's house and in one of Aunt Annie's albums.

Written on the back of the picture is the date, 1934. Assuming that is the correct date, and what else would one assume(?), that picture was taken two years prior to my mother's and father's wedding. They were married on March 31, 1936.

I don't know why we have so many pictures of the Sbaraglias in front of that window, or in that window but we do. I was looking at the brick work around that window. Not your normal setting for a window. And we know from seeing the pictures of people photographed on the inside of that window that it was a large window. But, once again, I'm chasing another rabbit.

Pictured are (l to r) my mother, Rose; her brother, Joe; and her sister, Anne. So that would be mom, Uncle Joe (Sbaraglia), and Aunt Annie of the photo album fame. Uncle Joe is father to my cousins (still living) Robert, Joan, and Lynn. Aunt Annie has no children of her own, but adopted my cousin Betty Evangelista. Long story there, which is told in an earlier BLOG, and my mom had, well we all know who she and dad had.

But they didn't have any children for almost 7 years after they were married. I was their first child. Apparently the docs told my mom she would never have a baby. Fooled them, didn't she? She had four and after my brother Carl was born she was warned not to have any more. So she didn't. I remember dad sleeping in the attic (that was before my sister and I inherited that space) for several days a month. What did I know about why he was doing that? I thought he was studying, not trying to prevent another child that could kill my mom. Bless his heart.

So, that's the good news for today. Old pictures bring to life old memories. Old memories remind us of our family still here and those gone from us now whom we will see again after we see our Lord Jesus Christ. Oh, what a day that will be!

ttfn

No comments: