RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Sunday, February 15, 2009

Post Valentine's Day

I don't get it. When I lived in Runnemede my husband never forgot to get me a beautiful gift for Valentine's Day. And he didn't have any money back then, either. Over the years the gifts have dwindled to once every four or five years -- the past three years we have been on a cruise, so I got to pick my own jewelry gift.

This year, and I'm not complaining because Alan really can't get to a store to buy something and he doesn't have the hang of on-line buying, except for his books -- he did figure that out -- he almost didn't even tell me Happy Valentine's Day.

Anyway, after we left Runnemede, he would still get me something, even if it was chocolates -- which he ate, because I can't eat chocolate. It was the thought that counted, right?

Well, this year tops them all. And I have to say the whole Valentine's thing didn't bother me at all, because at this point in my life, I prefer to be the giver -- that's what gives me pleasure, but...

Last night around 11 p.m. Alan came into the bedroom to "visit". I'd been in bed all day because of back problems -- and he said to me: "Did I tell you 'Happy Valentine's Day'?" I said, "No." And then I laughed. As always he started talking at the END of a movie I was watching -- I was watching the one on the Hallmark channel. He asked what I was laughing about, and I told him that once again I missed the end of a movie. He said, "Well, Happy Valentine's Day."

That was it. He went back out to the recliner, where he's been having to sleep because of his own back problems, and I went back to the book I had started earlier in the day. And that was the end of Valentine's Day 2009, one that will remain in my mind for about two days, and then will be gone. But it is now memorialized on a BLOG!

ttfn

No comments: