RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Yesterday

Well, yesterday's snow out here in N. KY is melting nicely, even though the outside temperature is only 10 degrees. I should say that the places that are in the sun are melting nicely. Since our home fronts to the northwest we get only about 10 minutes of sun late in the afternoon and so we don't have much melting, but across the street, the homes face southeast and they are getting lots of warm sun melt.

Our sun porch is warm as toast (it faces southeast) and right now the temperature out there is 80 degrees. Isn't that amazing -- the outdoor temperature is 10 degrees, but inside the sun porch it's 80 degrees, and no there is no heat source other than the sun out there.

We're enjoying the day and the snow (how it looks) and remembering how we would go out in the snow as children and make snow angels. Oh, how I wish I could do that now. Well, I could get down to make the snow angel, but we'd need to have a crane to get me back to an upright position, so making snow angels is no longer an activity in which I can participate except in my dreams.

I know why children love snow so much. And I love to just watch the few children that live in our community out playing in the snow, throwing snowballs, making a fort -- 18 inches of snow makes a neat fort. I love watching them get in those circle things and sliding down the hill. We used to use handle-less garbage can lids, if we didn't have a sled.

So, while I can't participate any more in the winter activities, I can remember how much fun they were and really, really enjoy watching children have fun!

ttfn

No comments: