RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Friday, March 6, 2009

My brothers play "Ramar of the Jungle"

Ramar of the Jungle was a TV program which aired in the mid-50s which was about a doctor whose parents were missionaries in Africa, and the adventures he had after he became a research scientist and doctor and returned to the land where he grew up. The series had only 52 episodes in the two years it was on TV, and with reruns it was one of our family favorites, especially my brothers'.

Well, my brother, Mark, recounts in the BLOG, Conversations with my father, which my niece, Lori, started a couple of weeks ago, about a time when he and my brother, Carl, were playing Ramar and they were hacking their way through the jungle -- using real knives -- and they got to the kitchen doorway, which they saw as a obstacle in their quest of the jungle, and started hacking at the door frame. Ouch!

I was supposed to be baby sitting those little monsters while my mom and dad were at prayer meeting. I think I was 10 at the time, not much older than that, and probably younger. All I know is that as soon as I saw what they had done, I ran over to the church and got my mom who came right home.

I don't want to go into details about what happened to those boys when my mother and father saw the destruction. Let me just say, it was quite a while before they could sit down again.

The worst part of the whole thing was that the house we lived in was not OURS, it was church property, something that the 4 and 5-year-old boys didn't really understand.

I think the lesson they learned was that you can't destroy that which doesn't belong to you, and then they were shown exactly what little in that whole house did actually belong to them, which was not much.

And, yes, the last time I was in the house, in 2001, the notches in the door frame were still there, painted over, but it was well notched!

ttfn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

RAMAR!!! I couldn't remember the name of it. Thank you. :-) Yes, Ramar of the Jungle. I've heard that story about a million times. I've seen the marks too. Can't even IMAGINE if Noah did something like that. Crazy!!