RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Sunday, April 5, 2009

Lamb dinner

About now, we'd be sitting down to Sunday dinner. Dad would have preferred it sooner, but mom could only go so fast. And if my father had been less ;ocuatious during his sermon, and hadn't asked Mr. Bowers to pray (Mr. Bowers never prayed for less than 20 minutes), he would have had dinner earlier. But I digress.

On Palm Sunday we had lamb. Leg of lamb to be specific. No matter what, we had lamb. We all loved lamb, especially the way my mom made it. She served it with mashed potatoes, peas, and pickled beets. For dessert (yes on Palm Sunday we had dessert) she made jello with canned peach slices in it. That was another favorite. Did I mention that it was cherry jello? Who knew that cherry jello and peaches tasted good together? I wonder now if having lamb was symbolic in some way of our Lord's becoming our sacrifical lamb.

Anyway at this time we are sitting down to dinner. Dad is very hungry. We're expecting a short "grace" before we dive in. But, in my father's best tradition, he offers a grace that isn't our usual "Thank you Jesus for this food. Amen", but he becomes verbose and prays for at least five minutes -- until the giggles begin, then he opens one eye to see who's giggling, continues for a couple more minutes, then says, "Amen."

We dive in, grateful that he's done preaching, pestering, and praying -- in that order -- and we can finally EAT!!!!!

ttfn

3 comments:

Lori said...

Grandma's lamb was always the highlight of our trips out there. We knew every time we visited, she'd make it and boy was it good! I haven't had it since she passed, but that memory has always stayed with me.

And, I can totally picture grandpa praying and praying and PRAYING until the giggles started. He cracks me up. :-)

Lori said...

Judi, you don't have to post this comment, but since I don't have email right now, thought I'd post this here. I'm at mom and dad's right now and dad bought a new computer and set it up in the living room. Pete got him all set up and we put the blogs on a link for him, so all he has to do is click on it. He sat last night and read a lot of your blog and kept saying things like, "I remember that!" or "This brings back so many memories" :-) I think it's something he's going to start reading regularly now that it's easy for him. Fun, huh?! And Em got him signed up on FB too. :-) Will wonders never cease.

Judi Hahn said...

Thanks to you all. I certainly hope he keeps it up and gets adicted because I think that's what it will take. He needs to enjoy doing it so much he can't stop.