RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Saturday, June 6, 2009

Gratitude

I was watching the ceremony at Normandy on TV this a.m. and through the tears I was thinking how grateful I am for those men who gave their lives, and those who didn't, but went through the horrors of war so that I could live as I do. Thanks to them.

That brought to mind a man whom I love who still lives in Runnemede. And so he can remain anonymous to all those thousands of Runnemede residents who read this blog (laugh there) I will just call him Uncle Bill. Those who know him know of whom I write (or speak).

He came home from the war and married his sweetheart, whom he met, I believe in kindergarten. I know it was very early in his life. And they settled in Runnemede, attended our church, and he and his wife were such a blessing to the children of the community and the church.

He gave his all at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. Then he gave his all for the children of the church, especially the teenagers. He was a "bus" driver extraordinaire! We depended on him to get us to various youth activities held in South Jersey, of which there were many at that time.

Uncle Bill and I still communicate, and I just want to thank him personally for putting his life on the line so that I could live free.

Thanks, Uncle Bill.

No comments: