RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Friday, June 19, 2009

Heat and humidity

Yes, it's hot. Yes, it's humid. A front is supposed to swing through tonight and tomorrow morning and bring relief.

I say this as a prelude to what I remember about h&h in Runnemede.

When we moved out here, I recall that the first day in Cincinnati (just north of Northern Kentucky) the high temp got to 92 and the humidity was pretty high as well. Everyone I met was complaining about how muggy it was. HOWEVER, I didn't think it was that bad. I had just moved from New Jersey -- now talk about humidity!

NJ is surrounded by water -- on the west is the Delaware River, and on the east is the Atlantic Ocean. So the state, being sandwiched by water drip, drip, dripped.

The humidity in NJ as I recall was bad during the day, then when that on-shore breeze -- or is it off-shore, I can never get them straight -- kicked in it got cool. On-shore to me is the breeze coming in from the ocean. The on-shore breeze coming off the ocean was cool because the ocean temperature rarely got above 70 degrees.

So we had hot, humid days, and fairly cool nights.

I guess that explains why my dad never felt the need to get air conditioning!

2 comments:

The Lady of the Holler said...

Glad you're keeping the blog going -- it will help keep your brain from going to mush even further. ;o) I remember when I first moved up from FLORIDA and everyone was complaining about how humid it was up here. Cincinnati has NOTHING on Floridian humidity! :o)

wabisabigirl said...

I could never live in New Jersey because I think this is HUMID! Makes me cranky:) I can't believe you guys didn't have air conditioning!