RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Tuesday, July 7, 2009

50 Years


This has to do with Runnemede and my teenage years. This is Alan and me in 1960, about six months after our initial meeting. And a long time after we realized we didn't just LIKE each other, but like-liked each other. A long time is a relative term when your 16/17 years old and you think the next day is never going to get there. And then you realize, wow, it wasn't such a long time after all that we got from not liking to liking to like-liking each other. Then came love, and yes it came that summer. So here we are now 50 years later. Unbelievable. We met on October 27, 1959.


Alan and I were talking tonight during commercials while we were watching NCIS. And I mentioned that we should have a party because it will be 50 years that we've known each other in a couple of months..


We met on an afternoon, a gray, dreary, cold afternoon, in late October. It was a Tuesday, and it was the last Tuesday of that month, just before Halloween. I remember this because I didn't particularly like Alan the first time I met/saw him. That lasted about two weeks, the dislike that is.


Anyway, the reason I know it was late in October is because he was finished with football practice everyday of the week, and was able to come to Hi-B-A (Highschool born againers) which met on Tuesdays. We were late getting started that year because the leader -- a grown-up -- was ill at the beginning of the school year. His name was Dick Johnson. I never saw him again after I graduated from High School.


Maybe it's time for me to start posting some of Alan's and my getting-to-know-each-other accounts, which definitely took place in Runnemede. But folks this was 50 years ago, and the mind just isn't what it used to be. I know it's all stored in there, I just have to get it out.


I'll update another day. Watch for it!


ttfn

2 comments:

The Lady of the Holler said...

Yes! I love a good love story!

Lori said...

I LOVE the picture of you two!!!! 50 years. Wow. That's awesome. Congrats!!!!!!