RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Good Morning, Miss Dove

Well, I have to say that this movie brought back so many memories. (Good Morning, Miss Dove is the name of a movie starring Jennifer Jones.)

First and foremost, it brought back the memories I have of watching movies late (very late) at night with my father. He was seated in HIS chair -- a captain's chair of unknown vintage, and I laying on the loveseat, which is probably why my posture has always been so crooked.

This movie is one I had not seen before. It was at least a 10-hankie movie, in a good way. Good things also make me cry, not just sad things.

Second, my dad and I watched these very late night movies in our little living room in the little house in which we lived in Runnemede. I can't imagine why he (and mom, who always went to bed before the movie was over) let me stay up so late, except that he enjoyed having company while we watched these classics.

Third, I recalled that while this movie was in "technicolor", most movies were in black and white, which, of course, didn't matter, since we had a black and white TV, not a "color" TV. I mean, who these days even knows about B&W TVs?


I know I was an ignoramus for staying up so late (or early depending on your point of view) to watch these old classic movies -- hey they were classics when I was a kid, and they're really classics now. I was stupid for staying up so late because I had to be up no later than 6 a.m. in order to get to school by 7:10 a.m. Most of the movies lasted until 2:00 a.m. You see where that leads?

I wonder now how I stayed awake in class. But I did, and the only time I "caught up" on lost sleep was on weekends -- Saturday, to be exact -- when I would sleep until one or two in the afternoon, after, of course, watching a movie with my father the night before.

If you have never seen the movie Good Morning, Miss Dove rent it. It's a really great movie, and it's rated "G". It such a great "dad" story. And also, a "Judi" story. Hint: It's about a strict teacher and it is reminiscent of Goodbye Mr. Chips.

So much for this episode of RR. ttfn

No comments: