RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Friday, March 19, 2010

The mirror over the piano


When I was growing up, there was a mirror over our piano. [This picture is the same piano, different mirror.] It was a really pretty mirror, sort of shaped like a crown, with a large center section, and two smaller side sections. My father's uncle Harry crafted the mirror, and he used bevelled mirror and etched panels on the side. He built the wood frame which held the mirrors together in one cohesive unit. The wood was carved on top to look like a crown, and all the frame was silver gilt.

I wish I had a picture of it. Alas, I don't

You see, one summer afternoon we heard a crash, and the mirror has dislodged itself from the screws that held it to the wall, and came and splintered into a lot of pieces. We cried. I mean, my mom and I actually cried. After that, my mom put some pictures over the piano -- NOT THE SAME.

I was thinking about that mirror around 3 a.m. I do so wish I had a picture of that mirror.

ttfn

No comments: