RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Friday, April 30, 2010

The excitement builds

You know when you go "Home" it's always a nice thing. "Home" on this earth will always be that tiny house in Runnemede. And the anticipation of heading back there is tickling me in the gut. Yes, tickling me. That's what it feels like when I think about this trip I'm going to make and all the family I'm going to see.

God is so good to provide this opportunity for the Drexler clan to get together as a family and enjoy each other's company -- family we haven't seen for years, some family I haven't seen for over 20 years. My brother, Carl's, family I haven't seen, it seems like, forever. I have seen my brother -- I met up with him on one of his road trips a few years ago. But his children were babies -- well, under 10 -- the last time I saw them, and now they're in their 20s and 30s.

What is so neat about this is that all the cousins and second cousins will be able to get together in a swarm and enjoy each other's company. I know my children didn't have much interaction with their cousins when they were small, since we only got to Runnemede once a year, if that often, and so the children would get to visit with some of their cousins then.

And then there were those yearly Thanksgiving visits to my brother, Mark's house, so my children could play with his children. They'll all be there (in Runnemede) all grown up, and their children will be playing with my children. Do you see why I have that tickling feeling in my gut?

And I am determined to walk around the block. Yes siree, I am. If it takes me two hours, I shall walk around the block, take pictures, and think about what it was like 50 years ago, and what it's like now.

A lot has changed, yet a lot remains the same. Anyway, I can't wait.

I pray that we have health and good travel to get us there, and that God will grant us ALL a time of respite and reflection and enjoyment of each other's company for that short time we'll all be together. And yes, I'm praying for great weather so the children can run around outdoors and enjoy the "climbing" trees, and other outdoor things I enjoyed as a child. I'll be there to guide them. I'll sit on the back step and watch them and wave, and point out things for them to do.

Somebody bring a can for "kick the can."

ttfn

No comments: