RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Going Home

It's getting close. Going home, that is. The hoagie buying spree is all set. The hotel arrangements have been made. The Sunday service is all in order. Saturday's foray into the Philly diner with 40 other Drexler's is all set as well. And I finally made the arrangements for the tour of the school (Downing) for those in the family who were interested. It's at 7:45 a.m. Let's say quarter to 8, that sounds later, right? Well, most folks can just tumble out of their sleeping bag and head across the street. I'm not going to be able to do much at the school because there is no elevator, and I can't do stairs. I MUST however get myself to the top of the gym/cafeteria. And I really wanted to get up to the top floor so I could see where the old Principal's office was, which then became a teacher's lounge. Don't know what that room is now, but I recall it as being a glass room, like a sun room.

When I talked to Pat Watt's, Downing Secretary, (nice lady, by the way, thanks Pat for all your help today), she wasn't following what I was saying about that room, so perhaps in some renovation of the school, that room was done away with.

It's going to be an fun-filled, fast-paced, adventurous, giggly, tear-infested, sappy, tiring three days. All this work -- a year's worth on this end, and much more on Mt. Calvary's end -- for three days of family.

We're praying for health, safety in travel, and financial aid (from above, God is able to provide) for those who need the aid. God will provide. He is faithful, and we're all counting on Him.

I can't wait to see cousins whom I haven't seen for at least 20 years, probably longer. I can't wait to see folks I haven't seen for over 35 years. The last time I saw most of these folks they were early 20s, now we're all mid- to late-sixties. I can only imagine the changes. I hope I recognize some of the visitors.

We're (the family) all so thankful for this opportunity, and really believe it is a God-given opportunity. A chance to enjoy each other's company one more time. How good is God! And, I make no apologies to those readers who don't agree with me on the God thing. I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able....

Mom and dad, we'll miss you. Wish you could be with us. This is to honor you both for all the years of service to a small NJ church in a small NJ town. 100 years! Amazing!

ttfn

No comments: