RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Thursday, July 12, 2012

It's hot

I've been thinking about the heat we are suffering through, and how it was when I was growing up.  You all know, of course, that we had no air conditioning.  My father didn't like it.  He tried it once (after I had married and moved out and got used to having it in my own home) and after only one day he decided it was too cold in his favorite room, and the cool air didn't filtrate into the bedroom, which he only used between midnight and 8:00 a.m.

So, how did we manage back then?  I'm not sure.  I remember a few days of egg frying heat, but it seems to me that we coped by not doing anything but sitting in the shade on the front porch, and waving a fan in front of our faces.

I personally have never liked the heat.  In fact, you could say that I hate the heat.  I love winter.  Cold weather.  Icicles.  Snow.  Tires crunching on a snow-covered street.  Yes, I'm ditzy.  I do like winter.

I also remember many hot days when I was growing up and I would just go into my bedroom, pull down the shades, make the room dark, and take a nap.  In some countries they call it a siesta.  I do know I made sure my summer piano lessons were at 8:00 or 9:00 a.m. because it was a cooler time of the day and I had to walk 8 blocks to get there.  That tip was given to me by my friend Linda, who also took piano lessons from the same teacher.  Yes, I had to get up early on those mornings, but it was worth it.

Our town had no pool.  The Lake was closed a couple of seasons after it opened.  There was a pool in Haddonfield where you could swim all day for 50 cents, but it was a four mile walk (or bike-ride).  I think by the time I discovered the Haddonfield pool, I was too grown up to ride a bicycle.  I guess I believed that only kids rode bikes.

So, the heat we have now is bad.  If I didn't live in an airconditioned home I would, I'm afraid, be certifiably crazy. 

Out here in northern Kentucky, we had over 100-degree temperatures all last week, and the weather folks told us it was going to cool down.  Well, it cooled down to 90-degree temperatures. Tomorrow it supposed to rain and we're only supposed to get up to 88.  Folks, to me, that still too hot. 

The thing that bums me out is that I haven't been able to enjoy my sun room, which isn't air conditioned, since mid-May. 

I have noticed that it's getting darker each day, which means the temperature is lowering earlier each day and it's getting warmer later each day, so there is coolness coming.  Hang tough, you all.  (You all is as southern as I get.)

ttfn

No comments: