RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day

The only thing I remember about Labor Day in Runnemede is that it was the day before school opened.  I loved that day because it meant summer was over and I would be back in school doing reading, writing, and arithmetic, and other subjects.  It seemed to me as a child that summer went on forever (because I liked school).

Now, it seems as if summer began yesterday and the season of summer is over.  Where I now live it ends for children in mid-August.  Our pool closes two weeks after Labor Day, which is nice for the adults in our community -- no children in the pool, not that I mind the kiddos.  I rather like their frolicking, but some of the seasoned citizens that live here do mind them and stay home when there are children splashing and cavorting. 

So, now maybe the fuddy-duddies will come to the pool just for the "fun" of it.

ttfn

No comments: