RUNNEMEDE REMEMBERED

Growing up in a small town in Southern New Jersey


Thursday, September 27, 2012

Time with Debbie

Spending time with my sister keeps this BLOG activated.  We talk about things we remember from "when".  (Remember when?)

So we remembered several things that I don't think I have written about.  Mostly we talked about my mom, because as we age, my sister resembles my mom more and more.  And her attitude toward life is much like my mother.  She (Debbie) is a server, just as my mother was.  Me?  I like being served, selfish person that I am.

I recalled mom's cleaning house, including my sister and I in the task.  Of course, Debbie did a much better job than I, I'd rather be reading or practicing piano than cleaning.  And every Saturday night, mom got down on her hands and knees and scrubbed the kitchen floor, the cellar steps, and the bathroom floor.  I am so thankful for Swiffer!

We also talked about our attributes, good and bad.  I have to admit that I'm really not as smart as some people think.  All my knowledge comes because I work at learning things.  I read a lot, and it sticks with me -- I guess that's a plus.  But when I was in school all my good grades were earned by long hours with the books.  So, yes, I was "smart", but it took a lot of work.  My sister and brothers didn't have the desire to work to get good grades, they just got what they got.

This conversation about our school grades and teachers liking us or not liking us led to Sunday School and learning Scripture.  I am convinced that if a child learned a Bible verse s/he can recite that verse for the rest of their life.  It's in their brain, and if they recall it, they can say it, and recalling the verse is not that difficult.  Deb wasn't quite as sure.  I do know that I can still recite the verses I learned in Sunday School and at Good News Club.  And didn't we just love taking those pictures off the flannel graph board so we could recite the verse with words missing, thus learning it. 

We talked about home remedies, how dad would fix us up with his homeopathic pills, and ask us as soon as we swallowed the pills if we felt better already.  All I know is that we rarely saw a doctor either at his office or at our home, and we siblings are all alive and well.  I don't know how healthy we all are, but we are alive.

We talked about our inferiorities.  I think I have more than she, but she thinks she has more than I.  I am basically a shy person.  I know, I know, nobody believes that.  Well, it's true.  If I don't know a person, I basically shy away from them.  Once I get to know somebody my personality comes out.  Debbie?  She's always able to talk to strangers.  I can't do that.  My mom could do that.  I suppose it's something that a pastor's wife needs.

Finally, we talked about the church in Runnemede, and I mentioned that I played the piano at the 100th anniversary celebration.  Well, that started her thinking that I should play the piano at her church in Mt. Airy on Sunday.  So, I did.  No problem as usual.  I played church piano for so many years that it comes naturally to me and I hardly use the music, but it's good to have, just in case.

I left her place a week after I arrived.  I didn't want to leave.  I would love to live in Mt. Airy.  It's a small town like Runnemede, and they have done a lot to get Main Street into shape.  It's so nice to walk (or drive) it and look in the windows.  I would love to be there sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas just to window shop (and antique shop).

ttfn

No comments: